Series fiction, or books that feature recurring characters and a continuing narrative, has been a staple of the literary world for centuries. From Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes to J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter, readers have long been captivated by the ongoing adventures of their favourite characters. This is something I’ve attempted in my dark tales from Innsmouth, a series of stories which begins with Fearless and concludes with Dagon. But what is it about series fiction that makes it so enjoyable? Here are some reasons why people love to read series fiction.
- Character Development: One of the main reasons people enjoy series fiction is the chance to see their favourite characters grow and change over time. In a single book, there may not be enough space to fully explore a character’s backstory or personality. But over the course of a series, readers can watch as characters face new challenges, learn from their mistakes, and evolve in meaningful ways.
- Emotional Investment: When readers invest their time and emotions in a particular series, they become deeply attached to the characters and their stories. They may feel a sense of loss or sadness when a beloved character dies or a series comes to an end. But they also experience joy and satisfaction as they follow the characters on their journey and see them triumph over adversity.
- Escapism: Many people turn to series fiction as a form of escapism from the stresses of everyday life. By immersing themselves in a fictional world, readers can temporarily forget about their own problems and concerns. They can travel to far-off lands, solve mysteries, or battle supernatural forces alongside their favourite characters.
- Familiarity: There is something comforting about returning to a familiar world and cast of characters. In a series, readers know what to expect in terms of tone, pacing, and writing style. They also have a sense of familiarity with the characters’ personalities, quirks, and relationships. This can make the reading experience feel like a cosy and reassuring ritual.
- Anticipation: When readers become invested in a series, they eagerly anticipate the release of each new instalment. They may pre-order the book, attend book signings or author events, and engage in online discussions and fan communities. The excitement of waiting for a new book to arrive and diving back into the story can be a thrill in itself.
- Sense of Community: Reading a popular series can create a sense of community among fans. By sharing their thoughts and opinions about the books, readers can connect with others who share their interests and passions. They can join online forums, attend conventions or book clubs, and participate in fandom activities like cosplay and fan fiction.
In conclusion, series fiction offers readers a unique and rewarding reading experience. It allows them to become deeply invested in the lives and stories of their favourite characters, to escape into a familiar world, and to connect with other fans who share their enthusiasm. Whether it’s a beloved classic or a new bestseller, there’s something magical about returning to a series time and time again. And, if you’re in the mood for reading my attempts at series fiction, you can find a free download of Fearless using this link.